Although there are no foods that by themselves prevent cancer or relapses, science has shown that a good nutritional status and a healthy weight improve the overall health of people who have overcome the disease. It also reduces the risk of developing other medical conditions, such as heart problems, bone problems or type 2 diabetes.
The medical community gives you these recommendations:
- Eat at least 5 servings of fruit or vegetables every day, preferably seasonal and local. The more variety of colour, the better. And you can combine raw pieces with cooked pieces.
- Opt for whole grain versions of cereals, such as rice, bread or pasta because they contain more nutrients than the refined versions.
- Eat pulses, such as lentils, chickpeas or beans, at least 2 or 3 times a week. In addition, if you combine them with cereals, such as rice or corn, you will get a protein as complete as meat or fish.
- Incorporate 2 or 3 servings of dairy products a day, such as yogurt, milk or cheese; better if they are low in fat.
- It is also very beneficial to eat nuts every day because they contain many nutrients.
- Virgin olive oil should be the main player when dressing and cooking.
It is just as important what you have to eat as what you have to reduce or avoid.
- Limit the consumption of red meat, such as beef, pork or lamb, to two servings per week. And if you eat processed meat, such as sausages or cured meats, do so only occasionally.
- You should also avoid ultra-processed foods as much as possible because they are usually rich in sugars, fat and salt.
- As for drinks, reduce sugary drinks as much as possible, including juices. Limit alcohol consumption as much as possible.
- And don’t forget another fundamental aspect, if you are a smoker, it is time to quit because tobacco clearly increases the risk of cancer.
A final tip to increase the beneficial effect of this change of habits is to incorporate 1 hour of moderate physical activity 3 times a week.
As each person is different, talk to your specialist to find out if you have any specific needs.